Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boy dies in flooding in Preah Vihear



Boy dies in flooding in Preah Vihear

Preah Vihear deputy governor Un Chanda inspects the flooded villages yesterday in Preah Vihear province. Fresh News
Preah Vihear deputy governor Un Chanda inspects the flooded villages yesterday in Preah Vihear province. Fresh News

Boy dies in flooding in Preah Vihear

A boy died in Preah Vihear province yesterday after being swept away by floods caused by heavy rains that are expected to continue for at least the next two or three days, local officials said yesterday.

Choam Ksan District Governor Chea Kemseng said a 13-year-old boy was playing in a creek when he was swept away by the currents and drowned in the floods that have impacted about 200 hectares of farmland.

“Now many houses in four communes – Yeang, Choam Ksan, Teuk Krahom and Sre – are facing flooding, but villagers are not worried yet, and they have not moved to the reserved safe hills yet,” Kemseng said.

Preah Vihear Provincial Governor Un Chanda, who inspected some of the flooded areas, said that homes, health centres and schools had been impacted in four districts – Chheb, Kulen, Chey Sen, Choam Ksan and Preah Vihear town.

“At the moment, the water is receding quickly but authorities are still ready to rescue people located in the vulnerable areas, and bring them to the safe hills while the bad weather continues,” Chanda explained.

Meanwhile, Kampong Cham Provincial Governor Kruoch Chamroeun said about 20 homes along the Mekong River were also facing collapse due to the heavy rains, but that many villagers were choosing to stay in their houses after moving their belongings to higher ground.

Water Resources and Meteorology Ministry spokesman Mao Hak said that at least medium-to-heavy rain is expected to continue in Preah Vihear today and Thursday, with rain also expected in the interior of the country.

From 2am to late yesterday morning, Preah Vihear had seen 123 millilitres of rainfall, the spokesman added.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said