Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boy killed, parents are hurt in capital blaze

Boy killed, parents are hurt in capital blaze

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A fire broke out on Tuesday in Chraing Chamreh II commune. FACEBOOK

Boy killed, parents are hurt in capital blaze

A 12-year-old boy was killed and his parents injured on Tuesday afternoon in a fire that burned down 13 houses in Russey Keo district’s Chraing Chamreh II commune in Phnom Penh.

Russey Keo district governor Chea Pisey told The Post on Tuesday that the boy’s neighbours informed him that the deceased had a severe learning disability and regularly stayed home alone.

He said the authorities had initially assumed the boy was responsible for accidentally starting the fire while his parents were not home.

After the flame spread, the boy’s parents ran into the house to save their son. The husband was seriously wounded, while his wife was slightly injured, resulting in both of them being rushed to hospital.

“We have to wait for the police report, but it is initially assumed that the boy burned down the house by accident,” Pisey said.

He said the authorities used 20 fire engines to extinguish the fire to prevent it spreading to nearby houses.

Khuong Sreng, who is Phnom Penh municipal governor and a manager at the Red Cross in Phnom Penh, inspected the site after the inferno was extinguished.

Russey Keo district police chief Kol Yi said police were investigating the blaze.

The National Police’s Fire and Rescue Department’s Facebook page said two other major fires had occurred in and around the capital so far in September.

The first occurred in Klang Rom Sav Market and destroyed 40 stalls, while the second was at a tyre warehouse at Doeum Kor Market.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges