Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Three killed while on forestry patrol in Mondulkiri



Breaking: Three killed while on forestry patrol in Mondulkiri

The body of one of the people killed in a shootout with other Cambodian authorities near Mondulkiri’s border with Vietnam this afternoon. Photo supplied
The body of one of the people killed in a shootout with other Cambodian authorities near Mondulkiri’s border with Vietnam this afternoon. Photo supplied

Breaking: Three killed while on forestry patrol in Mondulkiri

Updated story here.

An Environment Ministry ranger, a Military Police officer and an employee of a conservation organisation have been killed in a shootout with other Cambodian authorities near Mondulkiri’s border with Vietnam.

The three were on a forestry patrol in Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary late this afternoon when a shootout erupted in O’Raing district. The police officer and ranger died at the scene, while an employee with Wildlife Conservation Society died en route to the hospital, officials confirmed today.

According to Provincial Governor Svay Sam Eng, there was a confrontation between the group and a “border force” stationed in the area, though it is unknown exactly why the shootout erupted.

Phan Setha a technical advisor for Wildlife Conservation Society based in the Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary, confirmed that a WCS staffer had died on the way to a hospital in Sen Monorom. According to Setha, the staffer was a Geographic Information Systems surveyor, patrolling alongside officials in an area near the O'Houch border crossing with Vietnam.

He said the director of the sanctuary had told him the shootings were related to logging, but other details were unconfirmed.

Ministry of Environment spokesman Sao Sopheap said he had been informed of the incident and that the ministry is currently gathering information.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants