Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brick workers seeking compensation for land



Brick workers seeking compensation for land

Brick workers seeking compensation for land

A round 100 former workers from a local brick and roof-tile maker gathered at its offices in Chak Angre Krom commune, in the Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, each seeking $4,000 amid claims that the former chief of accounting had sold off land that belonged to the community.

The workers were representatives of some 330 other former staff members.

You Sarith, who represented the workers at the Angkor brick-making factory, which closed in 2000, alleged that in 1992 the former chief of accounting, Hem Reang, sold three ponds that had been used for communal fish farming since 1980.

Chin Kung, a former employee at Angkor, said the ponds were for employees at the factory to raise fish and grow water plants. Two of the ponds had been filled in, he said, adding that each pond measured about one hectare.

Villagers had settled on the land after the fall of the Khmer Rouge, but they had not received the titles to it, Kung said.

Sarith said that when they first discovered the ponds had been sold, they simply sought to have the sale voided.

“At first we demanded the land be returned to the communities. But later we demanded compensation of $4,000 for each of the 330 who lived on that land and were still alive.

“We also demanded $2,000 each for 70 workers who had since died,” Sarith said.

Kung said that the prolonged dispute had left the workers frustrated.

“We will not drop our demands because this case has been going on for too long. We call on Samdech Hun Sen to help us resolve this problem because the authorities at almost all levels have failed us,” Kung said.

Reang, the former chief accountant, could not be reached on Wednesday, while information on the buyer, Lim Sina, was not available.

Ministry of Land Management spokesman Seng Lou declined comment and told The Post to address questions to Phnom Penh City Hall officers instead.

“I don’t want to provide any information. I am afraid that you might misquote me. Please go ahead and ask the officials at Phnom Penh City Hall instead,” he said.

City Hall spokesman, Meth Measpheakdey, said the case was old, and that all attempts to resolve it had failed.

“We want to find a solution for the affected people, but both parties have refused all solutions,” Measpheakdey said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and