Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A group of foreigners accused of ‘producing pornography’ last month stand outside a courtroom in Siem Reap province on January 27. Chan Raksmey/AFP

British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

The case against a British national swept up in a raid on so-called pornographic dancing at a party in Siem Reap last month is set to proceed to trial, a court spokesman said yesterday, even after nine others arrested alongside him saw their charges dropped last week.

The 10 foreigners were among nearly 80 detained when anti-human trafficking police raided a pool party organised by the group “Let’s Get Wet”. While the bulk of the partygoers were soon released without charge, 10 were held and charged with “producing pornography”, though little evidence has been produced so far to support the accusations, and a local official has admitted the group “did not produce pornographic pictures”.

Nine of those who had been charged were released on bail over the past two weeks and deported to their home countries.

Yin Srang, spokesman for the Siem Reap Provincial Court, confirmed yesterday that the investigating judge had closed the investigation last week and sent the case to trial, with the alleged organiser of the party, British national Daniel Jones, the only one to face charges.

“So, only one will stand trial. For the date of the hearing, we are waiting for the chief of the court to decide,” he said.

Lawyer Sourng Sophea confirmed that he had received a notice last Monday that the case would proceed to trial.

Jones’s sister, Elizabeth, said she did not want to comment on her brother’s imminent trial, but said that his legal team would “vigorously” defend him against the charges, as well as against photos of the alleged “pornographic dancing” disseminated by the police.

At the time of the raid, the National Police released photos alongside those of the suspects, showing men and women in sexually suggestive positions, but fully clothed. The photos also appeared to have been taken at night, while the raided party was during daylight hours. Lawyers representing the 10 claimed that the photos had been taken at another party years ago.

“As you know our legal team is vigorously defending the charges that have been made against Daniel especially the use of archived images that are more than 3 years old,” Elizabeth Jones said in a message yesterday.

One of the partygoers who was immediately released also told The Post earlier this month that the party did not involve any nudity or drugs.

Additional reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided