Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Briton arrested in Siem Reap porn case gets suspended sentence

Briton arrested in Siem Reap porn case gets suspended sentence

Daniel Jones is escorted by Cambodian prison guards at a court in Siem Reap on Tuesday March 20, 2018. The Briton received a one-year suspended sentence for “producing pornography”.
Daniel Jones is escorted by Cambodian prison guards at a court in Siem Reap on Tuesday March 20, 2018. The Briton received a one-year suspended sentence for “producing pornography”. AFP

Briton arrested in Siem Reap porn case gets suspended sentence

A Briton accused of organising a Siem Reap pool party featuring “pornographic dancing” received a one-year suspended prison sentence from the Siem Reap Provincial Court on Tuesday.

The court handed British national Daniel Jones a one-year sentence for “producing pornography” – the maximum sentence for the charge, despite a lack of evidence – but then suspended all but the one month and 22 days Jones had already spent in prison, said Sourng Sophea, Jones’s lawyer.

“My client did not commit the crime for which he was sentenced and put in prison. It depends on him whether he will appeal or not,” he said. He said the court had not ordered Jones’s deportation.

Court spokesman Yin Srang only confirmed that Jones had been handed a suspended sentence and would be released on Tuesday evening.

However Siem Reap Provincial Prison Director Phean Chovron said that he had yet to receive the court order for Jones’s release.

British national Daniel Jones, shown here in Cambodia in an undated photo, received a suspended sentence from the Siem Reap Provincial Court Tuesday on charges of 'producing pornography.' Supplied
British national Daniel Jones, shown here in Cambodia in an undated photo, received a suspended sentence from the Siem Reap Provincial Court Tuesday on charges of 'producing pornography.' Supplied

Jones, 30, was one of nearly 80 people detained by anti-human trafficking police at the pool party in January on accusations of “pornographic dancing”. Of the 80, only 10 were jailed as the alleged organisers of the party and sent to pre-trial detention for production of pornography.

No evidence has been produced so far to support the pornography charges, and a local official has admitted that the group organised parties and pub crawls in the area, but “did not produce pornographic pictures”.

The other nine were released on bail and expelled from the country without trial.

An attendee of the pool party told The Post that apart from men and women wearing swimwear, drinking and dancing, there was no nudity or drugs at the location.

At Jones’s trial last Thursday, an anti-human trafficking police officer claimed if they had not busted the party it would have led to sexual activity.

The prosecution also produced some photos of fully clad men and women in sexually suggestive positions, but the images did not appear to depict the party in question, and have been disputed by the defendant’s legal team as pictures from a separate pub crawl years ago.

While maintaining his client’s innocence on Tuesday, Sophea allowed that, at most, his client may have been disrespectful of Cambodia’s cultural norms, but insisted that no crime had been committed warranting a 12-month sentence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this