Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Briton wanted in Thai murder case found guilty of fraud in Cambodia




Briton wanted in Thai murder case found guilty of fraud in Cambodia

Toby James Nelhams photographed in the waiting area of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this year.
Toby James Nelhams photographed in the waiting area of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this year. Lok Samret

Briton wanted in Thai murder case found guilty of fraud in Cambodia

A British national wanted in connection with a murder in Thailand was sentenced to prison for eight months over fraud accusations in Cambodia on Thursday.

Toby Nelhams had been charged with entering and working in Cambodia without a passport, working without a work permit, using fake documents and fraud. However, he was only found guilty of fraud, according to his lawyer Suon Virak Panha.

Thai police have identified Nelhams as the alleged “mastermind” behind the January murder of Tony Kenway in Pattaya over a business dispute.

Kenway was reportedly shot by South African Abel Caldeira Bonita, with Briton Miles Dicken Turner driving the getaway motorbike. The pair were last seen entering Cambodia the following day.

Nelhams was arrested on February 15, and the time served while awaiting a verdict will count towards his sentence, meaning he is scheduled to be released later this month.

Both Cambodian and Thai authorities have been tight-lipped about the possibility of an extradition. The Thai Embassy was closed yesterday but has in the past refused to answer questions on the subject.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has also not responded to requests for comment.

Virak Panha said he had no further information. “I have no information on this; I only defend him for crimes in Cambodia. That’s beyond my knowledge,” he said yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia