Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brother says alibi airtight

Brother says alibi airtight

Brother says alibi airtight

A family member of Oliver Van Den Bogaert – the Belgian national suspected in the murder and rape of a 25-year-old French tourist earlier this year in Kampot province – is speaking out for the first time in defence of his relative and providing more information about Van Den Bogaert’s whereabouts on crucial dates related to the investigation.

“It’s 100 per cent clear to us that he didn’t do it,” Oliver’s brother Ian said, speaking from Belgium. “We just want a trial based on facts.”

Ian Van Den Bogaert said that on April 10, the day that someone supposedly saw Oliver throw the victim’s bicycle in the water, he spent the day with a Belgian businessman, who is “prepared to come over [to Cambodia] and confirm this if necessary.”

He added that his brother had been sick around the time that the Frenchwoman, Ophélie Begnis, pedalled out of her resort in Kampot on February 9 and disappeared. Her naked and lifeless body was found the next day in the estuary that runs through Kampot town.

“He left maybe two or three times, maybe a half-hour, he wasn’t feeling well. I don’t think there was any murder in half-an-hour,” he said.

“I think it’s awful what happened to that girl. That’s the most important thing.”

Based on witness statements, the court charged Oliver on April 26 with “murder preceded or followed by torture, cruelty or rape”. The 41-year-old, who sold off his guesthouse Olly’s Place at the end of last year and was planning on leaving Cambodia, denies the charges.

An investigating judge was supposed to question him yesterday in Kampot provincial court, but according to his lawyer, a change in translators caused a delay. There was no new date set.

Additional reporting by Kim Sarom

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not