Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara



Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara

Apsara Authority officials speak to the press yesterday on demolishing illegal construction sites in Siem Reap province. Facebook
Apsara Authority officials speak to the press yesterday on demolishing illegal construction sites in Siem Reap province. Facebook

Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara

The director-general of the Apsara Authority and the deputy governor of Siem Reap announced yesterday that all “illegal constructions” inside the Angkor Archaeological Park will be destroyed next week, with any protests inside the park to be suppressed.

Speaking at a press conference in Siem Reap, Apsara Authority Director General Sum Map said 521 illegal construc-tion sites had been identified – most built during the commune election campaign – and that while authorities were eager to avoid unrest then, it would be different next week.

“If the negative impacts keep going on, we will face the withdrawal from the [Unesco] World Heritage List, and you all know about the disadvantages that would have for the reputation of our country, the economy and our people’s jobs,” Map said.

“Some of those people are vendors and we can see the constructions are not for shelter,” he said. “We have to fight against this illegal construction and illegal land-grabbing.”

Siem Reap Deputy Governor Ly Samrith said at the press conference he would ensure that “security forces” would demolish any illegal constructions that are still standing next week and would suppress any “standoff”.

“This work is for protecting our heritage and if there are any protests, what are they for?” Samrith said. “We prepared security forces already; we will not allow any standoff to happen against the heritage protection work.

Kokchak commune resident Mo Line said that he believed that his house inside the park was illegal but had not received any further information. “I have not dismantled my hut yet,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could