Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buildings razed in Siem Reap fire

Buildings razed in Siem Reap fire

Buildings razed in Siem Reap fire

130118 04a
Siem Reap resident Met Mun lost his home and bakery in a blaze that started early in the morning, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013. Photograph: Alistair Walsh/Phnom Penh Post

Three buildings burned to the ground in the early hours yesterday in Siem Reap town’s Svay Dangkum commune, less than 200 metres from December’s fatal night market fire.

Flames destroyed a bakery, a travel agency and a pharmacy as well as the homes of dozens of people who lived in the buildings, but no one was killed or injured, said Siem Reap deputy police chief Thoeung Chendarith.

Witnesses said the fire started at about 1:30am due to an electrical problem in the pharmacy before spreading to the rest of the building – which housed two families – and the travel agency next door. It then engulfed a third building, the site of a bakery and the residence of more than 30 people.  

“I saw the fire, and I woke my family up,” said Met Mun, the owner of Stung Thmei Bread. “When I saw the fire starting to spread, I moved all my motorbikes, cars and property out of the house.”

Tel Piseth, owner of the pharmacy’s building, also said he managed to evacuate the house before the flames injured anyone.

“They woke us up and said there was a fire burning,” said Christopher Ostrowski, a guest at the Siem Reap Sky Inn, where flames damaged the façade but did not spread inside.

“I opened the curtains and all you could see was flames.

“It was hectic on the street. Everyone was in panic, saying it might explode.”

The fire brigade arrived an hour after the fire began, said Mun.

“They came too late to save much,” Piseth said. “They hosed the building down but didn’t put it completely out until around 4am.”

Siem Reap Provincial Deputy Governor Bun Narith said residents needed to be particularly mindful of electrical malfunctions during this year’s dry season, reiterating authorities’ warnings after last month’s night market fire, which left eight people dead and two seriously injured.

Narith added that the province is looking to add more fire trucks to its current stock of nine.

Last week, a fire from a gas explosion burned down a 15-room house in Siem Reap town’s Slakram commune.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from