Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bulldozer, driver held in Preah Vihear

Bulldozer, driver held in Preah Vihear

Bulldozer, driver held in Preah Vihear

About 110 villagers involved in a long-running land dispute in Preah Vihear’s Cheb district on Monday stopped a Chinese company’s bulldozer for five hours, as its operator tried to clear some of their community forest.

Villagers allege that the company, Rui Feng International, was clearing part of a 1,000-hectare community forest, though company representative Ing Thing Kong said yesterday that Rui Feng is only clearing land legally granted to it by the government.

After stopping the bulldozer, the community questioned its driver, who said he was only following instructions. The locals released the driver and the bulldozer after he agreed to stop clearing there.

Rui Feng was granted an 8,841-hectare concession in 2011, but villagers accuse it of pushing outside the boundaries of its land and encroaching on their farms.

Because of past protests, the company employed local and military police to guard its property, which Lut Sang, of local NGO Ponlok Khmer, characterised as “a threat to the community”.

Earlier this month, locals blocked a road used by the company, prompting a provincial government land investigation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges