Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bunong decry encroachment

Bunong decry encroachment

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Military Police officers and the Chinese company’s representatives visit the disputed area on March 25. Facebook

Bunong decry encroachment

Fifty-three Bunong indigenous families in Kbal Romeas commune Stung Treng province’s Sesan district have accused a company of illegally setting up boundary poles for a plantation and encroaching on community land, an accusation the provincial authorities have denied.

Srang Lanh, a representative for the 53 families in Kbal Romeas village, told The Post that the firm, Siv Guek Investment, had set up a fence on villagers’ land, claiming they were wrongfully occupying its property.

“Siv Guek Investment has set up poles in the centre of our village without a consensus. They have violated our indigenous community and we will not leave this place,” she said.

She said the Bunong have been living and cultivating the area for many years and had preserved their indigenous culture, spiritual forest, and ancestral burial sites.

According to Lanh, the government declared the location as the lowest part of the Lower Sesan 2 Dam project in 2014, but only recently said the area had been allocated to the company.

She called on the government to return the land to the Bunong for them to cultivate and to preserve their culture in the area.

Siv Guek Investment could not be reached for comment.

But provincial hall spokesman Men Kong has rejected the indigenous community claims, saying the company had followed proper procedures in constructing the fence.

He said the indigenous community had prepared its own map covering nearly 8,000ha of community land, covering not only the company’s land but also other private property. Kong said he would try to resolve the dispute.

“We have been negotiating with the community several times since January. But they are demanding almost 8,000ha, while the land that we are allowed to register for these 53 families is a little more than 900ha,” he said.

Bey Vanny, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said the Bunong had been affected by the Lower Sesan 2 Dam project, but they did not move to the area allocated by the government.

“This ethnic community refuses to move because they want to preserve their culture. If they go to a new place, the government will not preserve their culture. At a new place, they have to live a new way of life, not a traditional one. So they refused to leave and are only willing to stay in that area where they have inherited cultural heritage from their ancestors,” he said.

Vanny called on the government to allow the Bunong to keep the land in order for them to preserve their traditions that the world has come to recognise and protect.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration