Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bus company sues strikers

Bus company sues strikers

Employees of the Phnom Penh Sorya Transportation bus company protest for better working conditions at a bus station in the capital last month
Employees of the Phnom Penh Sorya Transportation bus company protest for better working conditions at a bus station in the capital last month. Pha Lina

Bus company sues strikers

After grappling with weeks of on-again, off-again strikes, the Phnom Penh Sorya Transportation bus firm has filed complaints against 20 former employees for incitement, making threats and using the company uniform without permission.

General manager Chan Sophanna said yesterday that the company filed the complaints to Phnom Penh Municipal Court late last month.

“We sued them for using our company uniform to protest and destroying our company honour, incitement and making threats,” he said. “They not only illegally used the company uniform, but also threatened other staff that refused to join with them.”

More than 60 workers went on strike on April 3 ahead of the Khmer New Year holiday. Following negotiations, Sorya brought most workers back by agreeing to end an unpopular policy of fining drivers who transport people or goods without a ticket.

But – led by holdouts, workers who changed their minds about returning and those protesting against the laying off of some employees after the first strikes – protests flared back up after Khmer New Year. The demonstrations cooled when the Arbitration Council stepped in to mediate the dispute.

Sambath Vorn, a representative for the newly conceived bus union, said yesterday that only his vice president, Yem Kuyba, and an activist, Thun Visal, have been summonsed to appear on Friday. Both were fired by Sorya.

Vorn also dismissed the allegations about threats and incitement.

Kuyba, the vice president, said yesterday that he might request a suspension of the hearing due to a scheduling conflict.

“The company fired me, but I did not accept. So I’m still company staff and I still have the right to wear the uniform,” he said.

Vorn said he and a company representative will meet on Thursday with the Arbitration Council. He added that he is confident about the case, saying nothing wrong or illegal occurred.

“We just demanded more wages, [better] working conditions and the reinstatement of 20 drivers,” he said, referring to the people who were fired in addition to 12 others the company says quit.

“We will gather and protest again if we do not get justice from the Arbitration Council.”

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation