Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Businessman makes bail bid

Businessman makes bail bid

Cambodian-American businessman San Richer
Cambodian-American businessman San Richer (second left) is led away by prison guards after his hearing at the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh yesterday. KIM SAROM

Businessman makes bail bid

The Appeal Court heard in a closed-door session yesterday the bail request of jailed Cambodian-American businessman San Richer, who is accused of helping defraud a local businesswoman out of a $1 million investment in Phnom Penh in 2012.

The complaint against Richer, 52, was filed by businesswoman Eng Lykuong. It also names Siv Sichan, a former US ambassador to the UN Economic and Social Council, as well as American businessmen Thomas Willems and William Nojay as alleged conspirators.

According to the complaint, filed in June, the group persuaded Eng Lykuong to invest $1 million in a rice exporting venture in 2012, but after receiving the money, disappeared. Richer was arrested and detained in Phnom Penh’s Police Judiciary prison in September, while the other three suspects have left the country.

Speaking outside court, Lykuong said she was pushing for substantial damages. “I suggest the court punish the suspect, and I demand the [$1 million] back and compensation of $200,000 for the expense of this case,” she said.

But Richer maintained his innocence, saying that he had been a low-level staffer with no knowledge of the investment. He also called on the court to grant his bail request, saying he suffered from high blood pressure, and promised to answer any future summonses.

However, attorney Orn Hyng, who represents Lykuong, said yesterday that he was sceptical of Richer’s health claims. He also said that he feared Richer was a flight risk because of his US residency.

“The suspect told the court that he is a normal staffer, but in this case, he was the main person among the four, because he recommended my client transfer the money, and he told my client that the money was received,” he said.

Prosecutor Pan Kemlean seemed to agree, saying that the court should think twice about granting the bail request given the enormity of the sum in question – even if Richer put up an equal amount as a bail deposit.

Presiding judge In Vanvibol said a decision on bail would be made on October 9.  

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.