Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Call for Sesan 2 logging halt

Call for Sesan 2 logging halt

Children play in the water in Stung Treng province’s Srepok commune last year, where the Lower Sesan II dam is slated for construction.
Children play in the water in Stung Treng province’s Srepok commune last year, where the Lower Sesan II dam is slated for construction. Pha Lina

Call for Sesan 2 logging halt

Villagers who will be displaced by the $800-million Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in northeastern Cambodia have called for the clear demarcation of the reservoir zone to prevent rampant illegal logging.

A significant proportion of the villagers from Stung Treng province’s Srekor commune have declined compensation from the dam builder, Hydro Power Lower Sesan 2 Co, because they deemed the resettlement sites on offer unsuitable for farming.

The allocation of a contract to clear fell the reservoir zone has led to large-scale deforestation of protected timber, forest monitors allege.

Fort Kheun, a representative of the villagers, said the contract, awarded to a subsidiary of tycoon Kith Meng’s Royal Group and a company owned by the brother of petroleum magnate Sok Kong, has been used as an excuse to log illegally.

“When they cut the trees, they say the company is clearing the reservoir basin.

But they are logging far beyond that area,” he said.

“I am one of many residents who treasures natural resources, so I am arguing that what is left should not be lost.”

Shortly after the logging concession was granted, allegations of abuse of the contract led the Council of Ministers to issue a letter to the Ministry of Agriculture ordering the logging be halted until an assessment of the area could be carried out.

The Agriculture Ministry did not respond to the letter, a cabinet spokesman said at the time, and sources yesterday could not confirm whether the demarcation of the reservoir had ever been completed.

“Even though we may be flooded or die, we will continue to live in our village,” Kheun said, adding that about 254 families in Srekor continued to resist resettlement.

A spokesman for Hydro Power Lower Sesan 2 did not respond to a request for comment by press time.

Ith Praing, secretary of state at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, denied that any illegal logging outside of the permitted reservoir zone had occurred.

“The forest cannot be logged for the hydropower project other than clearing the basin . . . I support the protest against illegally logging outside the project area,” he said.

“But if they [villagers] think they are willing to die there, it is useless. The flood will come to the valley.”

He added that the aim of the project was to develop the region so that Cambodians could benefit.

Duong Pov, deputy provincial governor, said so far, 100 out of more than 800 families had accepted the full compensation package on offer.

“The development is in the national interest . . . and the dam is already about 30 per cent complete, so we cannot go back.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked