Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia to hold larger military drills with Chinese army



Cambodia to hold larger military drills with Chinese army

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A new military vehicle is taken through its paces during Golden Dragon military exercises in 2016. Heng Chivoan

Cambodia to hold larger military drills with Chinese army

The Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) and China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) are to launch larger 2019 Golden Dragon military exercises in order to strengthen and extend military relations and cooperation, the defence minister has said.

Defence Minister Tea Banh told The Post: “We are holding these exercises in order to improve the army’s capability.

“It is normal that when we work with one another, we will get to understand each other better."

“The relationship also becomes closer because we have talked and worked together,” he added.

General Eth Sarath, deputy commander and chief of staff of the RCAF, and Colonel Sheng Yunlai of the PLA, at general command headquarters on Tuesday promised to continue the Golden Dragon military exercises next year but increase their scope in order to enhance military cooperation between the two armies.

Cambodia cancelled some important military exercises with the US last year.

This year, the Cambodian army and the PLA held the first Golden Dragon military exercises, which focused on counter-terrorism, rescue techniques and live-fire training.

Two-hundred and eighty Cambodian soldiers and 190 Chinese soldiers took part in this year’s exercises, in which sophisticated modern weapons such as Z10 helicopters, equipped with rockets, and armoured vehicles were used.

Mine detection, unexploded ordnance detonation, chemical neutralisation, chemical bomb disposal and anti-tank combat were practised, as well as hostage rescue and other humanitarian activities.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting