Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia photos win global press competition




Cambodia photos win global press competition

Cambodia photos win global press competition

Photographer Nigel Dickinson has been awarded first prize in the features category of the prestigious Press Photographer’s Year 2008 competition for a series of pictures shot last year in Cambodia.

Dickinson, whose portfolio spans much of the globe, has worked extensively in South East Asia, documenting environmental and rights issues.

His prize-winning work in Cambodia featured Stung Meanchey dump and Cambodia’s last passenger train route from Phnom Penh to Battambang.

 

“I am very happy and honored to receive this award. It’s humbling to be awarded a prize by one’s peers, fellow photographers and experienced photojournalists,” Dickinson told the Post by email on June 25.

“As a human being and as a journalist, I cannot help but become concerned with what I see and become involved with people and issues,” he added.

“Especially when I witness such a strong spirit, and receive such warmth and hospitality from the Khmer people, who live with corruption, the legacy of the Khmer Rouge, often in poverty and surviving against the odds.

Dickinson’s work can be viewed on his website www.nigeldickinson.com.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.