Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia visa changes ‘still uncertain’

Cambodia visa changes ‘still uncertain’

Travellers wait in line at the immigration checkpoint at Phnom Penh International Airport in 2015.
Travellers wait in line at the immigration checkpoint at Phnom Penh International Airport in 2015. Vireak Mai

Cambodia visa changes ‘still uncertain’

The Department of Immigration is yet to make official changes to immigration rules requiring foreigners applying for six- or 12-month visas to have a work permit, an official said yesterday.

Sok Veasna, a director at the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Immigration, said although the proposed changes regarding long-term visas were being discussed, they were not finalised.

“We haven’t issued the official letter about that; please wait for the official letter,” said Veasna, who declined to be drawn on specifics. “We are studying more about the law. We just study it but haven’t decided how to do it, whether to apply the rules according to law or to strengthen them.”

Rumours of the change have been spreading in recent days. An article run by Business2Business said the changes would come into effect on September 4, citing confirmation by people within the Immigration Department.

Last week the Overseas Press Club of Cambodia issued a notice warning the changes would take place from September 1, pointing out the move could impact freelancers, and noting that if freelancers wished to apply, “they will need to give the address of their Cambodian employer”.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak was unable to be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials