Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodian firm probed over S’ville plastic waste

Cambodian firm probed over S’ville plastic waste

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities are investigating a firm over the discovery last week of 83 plastic rubbish filled containers at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port. MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT

Cambodian firm probed over S’ville plastic waste

Kun Nhem the director-general of the General Department of Customs and Excise, said on Sunday that the owner of a Cambodian business is being questioned over the discovery last week of 83 plastic-rubbish filled containers at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port.

Nhem told The Post that authorities were investigating the company, which hired Chinese employees, over its involvement in illegally importing a reported 1,600 tonnes of plastic waste from the US and Canada.

The waste would be returned to its countries of origin and fines issued when the probe is completed.

“Authorities are investigating the company to ascertain whether Chinese nationals have ownership. This is still at the investigation stage. The results will be announced shortly.

“We cannot reveal the name of the company as the investigation is ongoing,” Nhem said, adding that the waste was brought over in different phases since the end of last year.

Jenn Gearey, the communications manager at Environment and Climate Change Canada, told The Post on Saturday via email that the Canadian government was aware of the concerns raised by its Cambodian counterpart.

The Canadian government has reached out to Cambodian officials through the Canadian embassy in Phnom Penh and is following the matter closely, she said.

“Canada’s government is taking action to reduce plastic waste and support the development of innovative solutions, including spending $100million to help developing countries to prevent and manage plastic pollution.

“The government of Canada is committed to finding ways to ensure plastic is recycled properly, so it doesn’t end up in landfills or in our oceans, lakes, rivers and environment,” Gearey said.

Nhem said cross-referencing the shipping company’s documents at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port with those from ports that had earlier received the containers revealed the waste had originated in the US and Canada.

He told The Post that checks had revealed the containers did not hold poisonous or radioactive substances.

“The waste does smell. The Ministry of Environment has sent it for laboratory tests, with the results expected next week,” Nhem said.

Cheap Sotheary, the coordinator for rights group Adhoc in Preah Sihanouk province, praised authorities for revealing the results of the investigation to manage public concerns.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2