Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Canada denies reports of additional aid to Cambodia



Canada denies reports of additional aid to Cambodia

Canada denies reports of additional aid to Cambodia

The Canadian diplomatic office has denied local media reports that Canada had agreed to deliver extra aid money to Cambodia.

In a press release, Foreign Minister Prak Sokhon said that Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Stéphane Dion expressed interest in his proposal that “Canada will continue to provide aid to Cambodia on mine clearing activities”.

Francis Huot, Canadian Chargé d’Affaires, said “there was a mistake reported over the weekend in a few media outlets”, and reiterated that Canada would not be providing any additional aid, as had been suggested in those reports.

“Minister Dion did not agree to provide additional aid to Cambodia during his visit,” Hout said in an email.

“He had the chance to visit CMAC and will report back to our Minister of Development on his visit. Although Canada does not have a bilateral aid program with Cambodia at the present time, Canada is already providing foreign aid to Cambodia on a regional and multilateral basis.”

He added a review of their bilateral aid program would be made public early next year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Seven positive for Covid-19, Hun Sen confirms local transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that there has been local community transmission of Covid-19. However, he urged the people not to panic even though the Ministry of Health announced the discovery of seven new cases on Sunday. Among the victims are Chhem Savuth, the director-general

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there