Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Canadian sex crimes

Canadian sex crimes

Canadian sex crimes

Canadian citizen Donald Bakker pleaded guilty in a Vancouver court June 2 to seven

charges of sexual interference with children under the age of 14 in Cambodia.

The case marked the first prosecution under Canada's child sex tourism law, enacted

in June 2002, which does not require the consent of the foreign country where the

allegations of sexual abuse took place.

Bakker, reported to be in his early 40s, also pleaded guilty to one count of sexual

assault and two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm involving three prostitutes

in Vancouver, Canada.

Video tapes revealing Bakker's assaults on victims in Cambodia and Canada that were

confiscated by police have been described as extremely violent.

A spokesperson for the attorney general's office said that defense and prosecution

lawyers made a joint submission to the judge for a 10-year sentence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not