Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital addresses adverts




Capital addresses adverts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The announcement targets all entities and businesses that advertise in public places. Hong Menea

Capital addresses adverts

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall said on Monday that it wants advertisers and other businesses to turn down the volume and withdraw unauthorised advertisements in public places to make the city more livable.

The announcement targets all entities and businesses that advertise or use tools such as speakers and microphones to make loud announcements in public, particularly those repeated frequently.

It is also targeting small businesses that post unauthorised advertisements on street corners, fences and trees. The goal is to enhance the beauty of the city, it said.

The administration has called on municipal authorities at all levels to be more attentive and cooperate to take serious action to stop excessive noise and pollution.

Businesses and individuals found violating the rules will have to sign a contract to stop their activities. The authorities are allowed to retrieve the unauthorised advertisements such as signs that clutter the city.

“Businesses will be fined or even stopped from doing business if they fail to comply. They would be sent to court if the case is serious,” the announcement said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey could not be reached for comment.

Nang Koeun, the owner of a 24-hour plumbing service, said on Tuesday that his staff shares advertisements at traffic light areas and uses clip advertisements on electricity poles, trees, buildings and public fences.

He said he was not aware of the new rules but will tell his staff to stop doing so if there is a ban. His company, he said, clipped and shared 200 advertisement flyers per day, but will follow the announcement.

“The ban will affect small companies like mine. We don’t have money to advertise on TV or radio like other big ones. We depend on public advertising like clipping advertisements on trees or fences.

“When citizens need my service, they can call to my company following the phone number in the advertisement. I will still follow the advice though because it is respecting the law,” he said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15