Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital rubbish collection bidding opens




Capital rubbish collection bidding opens

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The bidding process runs until March 31 and all companies that join must make it through multiple phases. Heng Chivoan

Capital rubbish collection bidding opens

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall on Tuesday opened the bidding window for companies keen on attaining the rights to collect rubbish in the capital as part of reforming the waste management system to better serve the public.

A notice issued on Tuesday said the municipal hall is looking for companies that have enough capacity, experience and capital to provide rubbish and solid waste collection and transportation services in the capital.

It will receive applications for the bidding process from now until March 31 and all companies that join the process must undergo two phases, then receive formal rights, it noted.

Companies that are chosen in the first phase would be entitled to join the bidding process in the second phase – the procurement phase, it said.

“The municipal hall has divided several areas for firms to choose from to provide services of collecting and transporting rubbish and solid waste.

“Invitations of application forms for the bidding process are to be made public to domestic and international companies and all joint venture companies,” the notice said.

Along with the announcement, the municipal hall added it would hold a conference on the process of joining the first bidding phase from March 12 to 13.

On October 22 last year, Prime Minister Hun Sen revoked the rights of waste collection company Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd after years of mismanagement.

The prime minister handed the firm’s rights to the municipal hall temporarily as the government restructured waste management in the capital before opening the bidding process.

City Hall’s Waste Management and Environment managing director Nuon Samnavuth could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said Cintri was slow and poor in its collection services for a long time.

“In reality, the division of areas was not the problem. The important thing was that in the past, there was only one company.

“With this new strategy, there is no longer one source. If there are many companies, areas are divided and inspected regularly, things will be better,” he said.

Cambodia produces more than 10,000 tonnes of rubbish per day, equivalent to nearly four million tonnes a year. Phnom Penh alone produces some 3,000 tonnes a day, according to a report from the Ministry of Environment released late last year.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara