Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Case against RFA reporters pushes ahead

Case against RFA reporters pushes ahead

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former RFA reporters Yeang Sothearin (front, in blue shirt) and Oun Chhin (back, in white shirt) are escorted by officials after being detained for questioning in Phnom Penh in November. facebook

Case against RFA reporters pushes ahead

The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a complaint to nullify legal proceedings against two former RFA journalists, Uon Chhin and Yeang Sothearin, on espionage charges.

Chhin and Sothearin were released on bail on August 21 according to a Phnom Penh Municipal Court order. They were imprisoned for nine months and seven days.

After the verdict was announced by Presiding Judge Kong Srim in the absence of the complainants, Sothearin told The Post that the Supreme Court had upheld the lower court’s ruling despite his lawyers having a strong case.

“I am dissatisfied with the Supreme Court’s decision. It makes me wonder because my lawyers have documents obtained from the police that clearly show the court followed the wrong procedure with our initial 48-hour detention."

“My lawyers explained to the Supreme Court and we expected that we would win because we have evidence and a [strong] claim. In the end, the court verdict has made me very disappointed,” he said.

He said the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s bail with conditions had meant “challenges” that had greatly affected his standard of living.

He said he was confident the Supreme Court would nullify the procedure at Tuesday’s hearing, which would mean the charges would be dropped. He said he was very disappointed with the court’s decision.

“Uon Chhin and I have encountered many similar challenges because we cannot travel, especially as I cannot visit the land of my origin in Kampuchea Krom [an area in western Vietnam inhabited largely by ethnic Cambodians]. We also cannot work properly. We cannot concentrate."

“Our children are worried and afraid that one day we might return to prison. Regarding Uon Chhin, the court will not return his studio equipment to him. He has only this equipment to make a living,” he said.

Keo Vanny, the lawyer who represented the two former RFA journalists, told The Post that he did not know what was behind the Supreme Court’s verdict but he would ask to see the grounds for its decision.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen defends decision to dock Westerdam cruise ship

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday hit back at critics who say he allowed the Westerdam cruise ship to dock in Sihanoukville for political reasons. Speaking at an annual gathering of the Ministry of Interior, Hun Sen said he acted to avert a humanitarian catastrophe

  • Cool heads will defeat Covid-19

    Since Covid-19 was first reported as a world health issue, cruise ships have been the worst to suffer after airlines. The experiences of those who were initially trapped on the Covid-19-stricken Diamond Princess are unimaginable. The cruise ship was rejected from docking at one

  • Affordable housing project in Kandal nearing completion

    Worldbridge Homes Co Ltd’s $73 million affordable housing project in Kandal province’s Koh Kor village, in Sa’ang district, is on track to be completed at year’s end or at the beginning of next year, its general manager Yuk Sothirith told The Post

  • Crimes up with 211 deaths, influx of foreigners to blame

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng on Wednesday said crimes increased by eight per cent last year, resulting in 211 deaths. He revealed the figures during the ministry’s 2019 review and laid the blame for the increase on an influx of foreigners into the Kingdom. “The crime

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • Remaining MS Westerdam passengers test negative

    Tests conducted on the remaining 781 passengers of the MS Westerdam for Covid-19 came back negative, the Ministry of Health confirmed on Wednesday. It also noted that the last 233 passengers to disembark the MS Westerdam are now in Phnom Penh after they were transported there in