Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cash Transfer Programme giving lifeline to Covid-stricken families

Cash Transfer Programme giving lifeline to Covid-stricken families

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A household member (right) receives cash from the government on May 24. NSAF

Cash Transfer Programme giving lifeline to Covid-stricken families

A 39-year-old motor-taxi driver, Chan Samoeun, his wife and three children have been receiving 200,000 riel every month from the government as part of the nationwide Cash Transfer Programme, which seeks to alleviate the impacts of reduced income on households as a result of the Covid-19 crisis.

“This money is not much for those who have a good life, but for me it is a lot and helped me to pay for a monthly rental room,” he said about the grant he has been receiving since June 2020, when the programme began.

Since that time, the state has spent 2.734 trillion riel ($683.64 million) on poor and vulnerable families affected by the pandemic.

The Cash Transfer Programme is a special assistance program launched by the government to lessen the financial burden of people holding IDPoor Cards 1 and 2 and those who have been affected by Covid-19.

At the start of the crisis over two years ago, Chan Samoeun and his family, who live in Tuol Sangke I commune in the Russey Keo district, lost almost all of their income.

Samoeun said he could earn between 30,000 and 50,000 riel per day before the pandemic, but had been making only between 10,000 and 20,000 riel per day during that time.

“It is very good that the state spends the money to help poor families like mine when we do not have any income due to the Covid-19 outbreak,” he told The Post.

Prime Minister Hun Sen officially launched the Cash Transfer Programme to provide cash assistance to poor and vulnerable households as part of its fight against Covid-19 in June 2020, which was implemented by the Ministry of Social Affairs later that month.

Since then, 23 payments have been issued to the households.

The social affairs ministry said in a May 24 statement that the next round of payments will take place from May 25 to June 24.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “