Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CBC replies



CBC replies

CBC replies

The Editor,

In your article of June 16, 1995 entitled "National Bank

Governor for the Chop" by Nate Thayer, it was written with many points away from

the facts, which we would like to retain the right of correction as follows:

1. The point that the assets of the Credit Bank of Cambodia (CBC) were seized

on June 6 is untrue. We would like to clarify that the CBC had not been ordered

by the court or any institution to have its assets seized. Please read the

decision of the National Bank, dated May 6, 1995.

2. The point saying that the CBC and it's principal shareholders were facing

a number of civil and criminal charges in Canada and Cambodia ranging from the

transferring of drug money to the defrauding of creditors is not true. We would

like to say that the CBC is purely a Khmer bank without any shareholders

involved in civil or criminal charges in Cambodia or Canada.

3. Saying that on June 7 independent auditors were confronted by private

security guards with AK-47 rifles denying them access is not true at all. We

would like to clarify that the management team, which your article referred to

as independent auditors, is a private company which the CBC hired to deal with

its financial situation with the approval of the National Bank and they were not

 appointed by the Royal Government. Having seen that this company was

incompetent and had not complied with its contract, the CBC requested the

National Bank on May 29, 1995 for the official termination of the company's

contract.

4. The point that in April a principal shareholder of the CBC, Ms Leng Ky

Lech, was under indictment for accounts of laundering drug money in Montreal was

not true and is a defamation. In fact, Ms Leng Ky Lech had not experienced any

indictments in Canada.

5. In the previous edition, your article said that the CBC owed money to the

Marleau Lemire, but in fact, the CBC did not. It is a case involving work of the

court. We would like to clarify that this company had been sued by the

association for earning commissions to the court, and it had been tried by the

Montreal court resulting in a fine of $165,000 dollars, which was the most

severe fine since 1982.

- Sy Veng Chun, Managing Director, Credit Bank of Cambodia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital