Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CCFC event blocked yet again



CCFC event blocked yet again

Commune and district police on Thursday shut down a CCFC-organised agriculture and social education event in Ampil commune, Romeas Hek district, Svay Rieng province. Photo supplied
Commune and district police on Thursday shut down a CCFC-organised agriculture and social education event in Ampil commune, Romeas Hek district, Svay Rieng province. Photo supplied

CCFC event blocked yet again

A gathering in Svay Rieng province of some 40 villagers led by a farmers’ organisation was shut down by local police on Thursday because the group allegedly had not requested permission, though provincial authorities had been notified the week before.

The crackdown makes the event the fourth Cambodia Coalition of Farmer Community (CCFC) gathering this month to either be blocked by authorities or see its participants harassed over an alleged lack of official permission and unfounded suspicions the group is linked to an ex-opposition “movement”.

On Tuesday, authorities from the same district summoned villagers for questioning over alleged Cambodia National Rescue Movement connections after they and other communities organised by CCFC delivered a petition seeking the resolution of a land dispute.

CCFC staffers were questioned over similar fears after a Takeo meeting with farmers was broken up on March 6. An International Women’s Day event hosted by the group was dispersed by authorities a day later in Tbong Khmum.

Meun Ratana, the deputy general secretary of CCFC, said the event on Thursday was aimed simply at explaining to farmers how to obtain National Social Security Fund cards and obtain entitlements such as free health care at government clinics.

Five district and commune police officers demanded to see permission letters, to which Ratana replied that none of his team had copies on hand, as they had provided them to the provincial authorities the week before. Provincial authorities then insisted Ratana pick up the permission papers at the provincial hall to deliver them back to local police.

Suon Sayha, a community representative, said tensions flared between villagers and police when they came to shut down the event and barred villagers from taking pictures. “[They] got into a hot argument,” he said, noting that although five villagers had their phone photos deleted there was “no serious clash”.

“The people are also angry with the authorities because we did not do anything illegal,” he said.

Sam Sam Ol, Romeas Hek district police chief, declined to comment on the case, though Ampil Commune Police Chief Nhean Phaen said the shutdown was procedural and would not have happened had they had proper documents. He also denied that tempers had flared.

“There is no argument,” he said.CCFC President Theng Savoeun called for a stop to authorities’ “intrusive” actions, saying the group’s documentation with the Interior Ministry is in order.

“It is the excuse of authorities that do not want people to gather, and people are not satisfied . . . because they violate their freedom,” he said.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak declined to comment on why CCFC has been repeatedly subjected to scrutiny by police throughout the country in the past month, or on why it has in the past been labelled part of a revolutionary plot.

Am Sam Ath, from rights group Licadho, cautioned that continued infringement on the rights of free expression and assembly could cause problems for the government. “It will make the people angrier with the authorities . . . and I think maybe the people will protest or [do] something against [the] authorities,” he said.

Additional reporting by Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year