Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CCIM reporter’s case dropped



CCIM reporter’s case dropped

CCIM reporter’s case dropped

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has dismissed without any explanation a lawsuit filed by the Cambodian Center for Independent Media (CCIM) after one of its reporters was viciously attacked by Daun Penh district security guards in May.

Lay Samean, a 27-year-old reporter for CCIM’s Voice of Democracy, was one of several people beaten by guards as they waited for an opposition rally near Freedom Park on May 2.

Samean suffered serious head injuries and was flown to Bangkok for treatment.

According to a letter signed by court deputy prosecutor Meas Chan Piseth on November 26 but only received by CCIM yesterday, the case has been dropped.

CCIM had accused Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong, former Daun Penh district governor Sok Sambath and Sok Penh Vuth, Daun Penh deputy district governor, of instigating aggravated violence.

It had asked for $30,000 in compensation and medical costs. Sek Sophorn, CCIM’s lawyer, questioned the procedure.

“We have enough proof – witnesses, photos – and what is important is that my client really was beaten by security guards,” he said, adding that the suit had been filed against senior officials because they bore responsibility.

Prosecutor Piseth said he was too busy to comment. Sambath, the former district governor, and City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche, could not be reached.

Samean said he was disappointed the case had been dropped seemingly without any investigation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants