Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CCTV shooting footage reviewed

CCTV shooting footage reviewed

CCTV shooting footage reviewed

Security footage of a shooting outside a shoe factory on Monday that left three protestors in hospital has been reviewed by police, the head of the special economic zone where the incident took place said yesterday.

The three women were shot at a violent protest of about 6,000 people at the Kaoway Sports Ltd factory in Svay Rieng province’s Bavet town, which supplies sportswear giant PUMA.

Larry Kao, managing director of the Manhattan SEZ, said security footage of the incident, which he had not seen, had been taken by government officials on Wednesday.

“They reviewed the shooting – the government officials,” he said.

On Tuesday, Interior Minister Sar Kheng said there was sufficient evidence to convict a suspect, who he did not identify.

Bavet municipal police chief Keo Kong said yesterday that rumours a suspect had been arrested were simply wrong.

The lack of arrest has fuelled speculation, and on Wednesday, Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith told the Post false rumours had circulated that he was the suspect.

Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Mu Sochua said rumours had become a problem, insisting authorities crosscheck witnesses and release security footage once an arrest was made.

“It’s not an obligation, but in this culture of impunity, I think it is very wise for the government to show this tape for it to be credible, because the public will always have some level of doubt,” she said.

Eyewitness accounts of the incident are inconsistent, but point to a single shooter dressed in a khaki police-style uniform flanked by at least one bodyguard and a police officer.

Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Centre, said accounts now suggested the gunman stepped out of a Lexus, not a black Toyota Camry.

“Eyewitnesses said that the man got out of a Lexus 470, opened fire and then went away in the Camry,” he said

He said 21-year-old Buot Chinda, who was shot through the chest, remained in stable but serious condition, with internal bleeding between her chest and her bruised lung and a fracture in her left rib.

PUMA is investigating the incident that led to the two-day closure of the SEZ, which is set to reopen today.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked