Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CDC says it still hasn’t seen plan for Boeung Kak project

CDC says it still hasn’t seen plan for Boeung Kak project

CDC says it still hasn’t seen plan for Boeung Kak project

MORE than 100 residents facing eviction as part of the controversial Boeung Kak lake project marched in front of the offices of the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) on Wednesday, only to have their written complaint rejected.

An official with the CDC, an investment board with the power to approve large development projects, told residents that the body had yet to receive a master plan for the Boeung Kak project, which could lead to the eviction of roughly 4,000 families.

Residents became alarmed after City Hall officials announced last month that they had approved development plans for the project, which they said they would send to the CDC for final approval.

Duy Thov, deputy secretary general of the CDC, told the Post Wednesday that the organisation had not seen any development plans for Boeung Kak.

“I have not received it yet, so I cannot make any comment,” he said.

Pa Socheatvong, the deputy governor of Phnom Penh, declined to comment at length about the project, saying that City Hall “still needs time to discuss the master plan” with the CDC.

Residents on Wednesday continued their push for land titles.

“We want the government to remove our houses from the development plan and issue legal land titles for us because we have lived a long time here – before the development began,” said Ing Navy, a representative of the residents. “We are not living in anarchy or in temporary resettlements.”

Most of the 4,000 families have been left in limbo ever since the city agreed to lease the 133-hectare site to Shukaku Inc, a private company run by Lao Meng Khin, a senator with the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, as part of a long-term lease in 2007.

Since then, official details on the development have been scarce, even as large swathes of the lake have been filled in with sand.

Authorities have declined to reveal basic information, such as the project’s costs or its construction timeline, leaving residents to speculate about whether and when they will be removed.

Housing advocates say the government’s actions are illegal, and that residents should be awarded land titles because they have rights to the land under the 2001 Land Law. Authorities, on the other hand, say that the land is owned by the state.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s