Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chakrapong says he's innocent



Chakrapong says he's innocent

Chakrapong says he's innocent

PARIS -After nearly three years of silence, Prince Norodom Chakra-pong, in exile

in France, has finally spoken out about his banishment from the Kingdom, upcoming

elections, the Khmer Rouge and internal politics within CPP.

Prince Chakrapong, a son of the King and a half-brother to Prince Ranariddh, who

was exiled in July 1994, for allegedly masterminding a military coup, spoke freely

with the Post in rare interviews, January 15 and February 1.

The prince in a frustrated and combative mood talked openly for three hours in his

simply furnished and transient flat in a working class suburb on the outskirts of

Paris.

On the way from the 'Creteil-Prefecture' tube station near his flat the prince re-iterated

his claims that he was innocent of the coup charges.

"If I had been taking part in the coup, I would not have been in my room at

that time. I would have been hiding in the provinces with the men, not sleeping peacefully,"

he argued.

In the hall of his apartment block the prince's basic letter-box carries the royal

name of Norodom but it marks the entry to a life well below royal standards, apparently

shared only with his daughter.

The prince, a man who seems to have held his silence for too long, spoke of his anger

after years in exile.

As a former member of the CPP politburo, he was sacked from the party for his role

in the coup, and now talks in detail about the divisions he said exist in the party

between Hun Sen and more moderate CPP members.

Chakrapong claims Hun Sen has minority support within the party, but rules by presenting

his party colleagues with 'fait accompli' decisions. He said CPP president Chea Sim

avoids a split within the party by pouring oil on troubled waters.

He said he believes royalist and opposition parties could win upcoming elections

if they maintain their unity and isolate Hun Sen.

The prince claims the pardon for Ieng Sary makes a mockery of Cambodian justice as

he says he, prince Sirivudh and Sin Song are being denied an amnesty for far lesser

or non existent crimes.

The interview was punctuated by the prince making cups of tea, receiving faxes from

Phnom Penh and his calls to be allowed to return to his motherland.

"Three years is a long time to be away from my country," he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both