Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cham massacre recounted

Cham massacre recounted

Witness Samrit Muy testifies on the targeted killing of ethnic Cham at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia yesterday.  ECCC
Witness Samrit Muy testifies on the targeted killing of ethnic Cham at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia yesterday. ECCC

Cham massacre recounted

Witness Samrit Muy corroborated previous accounts of the targeted arrest and killing of ethnic Cham at the Au Trakuon pagoda security centre yesterday, as the defence sought to raise questions as to the reliability of his testimony.

Muy told the court of the formation of the “Long Sword militia” – also recounted by previous witness Sen Srun – which was formed following the arrival of Southwest Zone cadres in 1976 and 1977.

The militia was responsible for compiling lists of members of the predominantly Muslim Cham ethnic minority, arresting them and transporting them to Au Trakuon pagoda.

Muy said he had been part of a local militia until 1976, when he worked at the cooperative near Au Trakuon and witnessed the same arrest of 200 to 300 Cham previously described by Srun.

“It was a large arrest ... I was afraid to go near,” he said. While Muy never witnessed any killings – a point repeatedly stressed by both defence teams in their cross examination – he stated “those who were brought into that pagoda would never return”.

Muy also corroborated prior testimony by Srun that killings at Au Trakuon occurred while music was played at night. “I would hear the screaming for help at the time the loud music was being played,” he said.

Muy went on to testify that the music was always played on days that arrests were made.

“We could all see it; we saw men, women and young children being taken away to the pagoda, and surely on days that happened, we would hear that night loudspeakers being played.”

In their cross examination, however, the defence attempted to impeach Muy’s credibility, calling attention to Muy’s time in the militia.

Srun, the previous witness and Muy’s fellow militiaman, had said that Muy had stayed on with the militia until 1979, not just 1976 as Muy maintained.

Under pressure from Khieu Samphan defender Anita Guisse as to what motivation Srun would have to lie about the matter, Muy denied the accusation, maintaining that Srun was only alive “because of my good deed”.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation