Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges in ‘incest’ murder




Charges in ‘incest’ murder

Chhay Thorn (right) is escorted through the car park of Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Chhay Thorn (right) is escorted through the car park of Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Charges in ‘incest’ murder

A Phnom Penh Municipal court will pursue charges against only one of a trio initially accused in a 2012 family murder and subsequent cover-up conspiracy.

In a hearing yesterday, Chhay Thorn, 36, stood on trial for the intentional murder of his fiancee’s allegedly incestuous father Sin Hoy – a lieutenant colonel in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces’ Navy – before moving the body to disguise the killing as a suicide, presiding judge Kor Vandy stated.

“There was a dispute with the [murder] victim, because he raped his [then] 13-year-old daughter,” Vandy said.

By October 21, 2012, Hoy had been separated from his wife, Reith Ratana, now 45, for a year, following family turmoil after Hoy allegedly raped his now 20-year-old daughter when she was 13 years old, Vandy said.

On that day, Hoy returned to the house at which he once lived with his wife and daughter in Russey Keo district’s Chroy Changvar commune, intending to reconcile, said Chroy Changvar commune police chief Veng Chork.

Ratana, Thorn and Hoy’s daughter blocked the door when he tried to enter the house, which enraged Hoy, Chork said.

“Because they would not allow Hoy to enter the house, he became very angry, pulled out his gun and attempted to shoot his wife, but the gun jammed,” Chork said.

Seizing the opportunity, Chork said, Thorn disarmed Hoy, and shot him in the nape of the neck, killing him.

After Hoy’s body dropped to the floor, Thorn repositioned it, attempting to make the death appear to be a suicide, Chork said.

While police did not buy the story, all three maintained in court yesterday that Hoy had killed himself.

“I could not have killed Hoy, because I don’t know how to use a gun,” Thorn said in court. “I am the victim of the police’s accusation.”

Phnom Penh Municipal Court vice prosecutor Hor Lina yesterday dropped murder charges against Ratana and her daughter.

“Based on the evidence, witness testimony and the police report, Chhay Thorn was the only person who killed the victim,” Lina said.

A verdict is due to be handed down on February 19.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.