Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Checkpoint investigation nearing completion

Checkpoint investigation nearing completion

Checkpoint investigation nearing completion

An opposition parliamentarian has asked the Ministry of Tourism (MoT) to publicly

release the findings of a 9-month-old investigation into illegal checkpoints at tourist

destinations.

Son Chhay, a member of the Sam Rainsy Party, wrote a letter to Minister of Tourism

Lay Prohas saying that the authorities had been given ample time to report on phony

admission charges to sites across the country.

"Pocketing money from tourists will not only make the tourists angry but goes

against Prime Minister Hun Sen's advice to combat illegal checkpoints," said

Chhay's May 31 letter.

The MoT investigation began in September last year after complaints from foreign

tourists.

The investigation was expected to tackle issues such as Takeo police charging 4,000

riel admission at the Tonle Bati temple ruins and the purpose of the $5 fee that

motorcyclists must pay to ride up Bokor Mountain in Kampot.

Three secretaries of state at the MoT were assigned to investigate: Nuth Nin Doeun

was to report on Battambang and Siem Reap provinces; Ruos Ren was to handle Kandal,

Takeo, Kampot, Kep and Kampong Speu; and Sam Promonea was to check the Phnom Penh

International Airport.

Nuth Nin Doeun said he completed his investigation within a week and the results

had already been sent to the minister of tourism.

Prohas said he was preparing a report on the investigation and would send it to the

Council of Ministers "very soon".

"We are in the process and will send it to the government for approval before

sending it to the National Assembly," said Prohas, who confirmed that he had

received Chhay's letter.

He said the ministry's inspection groups had visited many tourist sites and solved

the problems.

"There are no more illegal checkpoints at these pleasant places," Prohas

said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s