Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chef fined for rubbish dumping in Preah Sihanouk

Chef fined for rubbish dumping in Preah Sihanouk

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Wang Mu Qung was reprimanded and ordered to pay the fine in accordance with the Environmental Law. Provincial environmental department

Chef fined for rubbish dumping in Preah Sihanouk

A chef working for a casino was slapped with a fine for dumping 15 bags of waste on a Sihanoukville street during a downpour on Friday.

Preah Sihanouk provincial Department of Environment (DoE) and the local authority questioned the chef who was hired by Casino New Golden Wealth, after viewing a video clip revealing his actions.

The chef, identified as Wang Mu Qung, was reprimanded and ordered to pay the fine in accordance with the Environmental Law.

The video clip showed that the garbage was packed and piled outside the casino, and when it rained, Wang was seen kicking the garbage towards the street.

However, DoE head Samut Sothearith did not reveal the amount of fine the chef was ordered to pay.

“It is an individual issue and not the fault of the company [casino]. Still, the company agreed to take responsibility and assured that the offence will not be repeated,” he said.

Sothearith said dumping waste on the streets affected the sewerage systems and blocked the waterways. Hence, DoE officials issued the casino with a warning for not disposing of its waste properly.

The chef acknowledged his mistake and wrote an apology letter to the Cambodian people. He also appealed to the public not to commit similar offences.

“I apologise to Cambodians nationwide for throwing waste on the street, contributing to blocking the sewerage systems and messing up the city. Please don’t follow my act,” Wang said in his letter.

Sothearith said: “If he repeats the offence, we will impose a fine twice [the amount he has been ordered to pay] or send the case to court, but I think he has learnt his lesson and will stop doing it.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked