Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chi Khor Leu land dispute resolution reached

Chi Khor Leu land dispute resolution reached

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ninety-five families who were locked in a long-running land dispute with Oknha Ly Yong Phat’s sugar company since 2006 accepted the solution to end the dispute under a compromise negotiated by the Koh Kong provincial authority. FN

Chi Khor Leu land dispute resolution reached

Ninety-five out of the 317 families who were locked in a long-running land dispute with Oknha Ly Yong Phat’s sugar company since 2006 accepted the solution to end the dispute under a compromise negotiated by the Koh Kong provincial authority.

Provincial deputy governor Sok Sothy, who led a team to work on finding a compromise, said on Monday that 222 of the 317 families had already agreed to the compromise and only the 95 families had remained.

The 95 had initially agreed together with the other families to receive the land located at Blocks A and B in Koh Kong province’s Chi Khor Leu village, Chi Khor Leu commune, Sre Ambel district. But they later protested, claiming the land they received was stony and therefore not conducive to farming.

He said the families had previously protested at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction in Phnom Penh because they did not understand the settlement process and wanted their demands to be quickly met.

“Under a compromise from the Koh Kong provincial authority, the families have accepted the land at the village’s Block C instead,” Sothy said.

“The compromise notes that each family would get 2ha of land and $3,000. Though the dispute was with the sugarcane company, the government decided to intervene and solve it. The provincial administration is willing to solve land disputes involving the people,” he said.

Villager Sar Kimsun confirmed that the 95 families had agreed to relocate to Block C. “Now, we are clearing the land that we got, so that the authorities can measure it for us. The 95 families are the last group of people locked in the land dispute,” she said.

Provincial coordinator for the Cambodian Human Rights and Development Association (Adhoc) Bey Vanny welcomed the solution over the long-running land dispute.

“We ask the authorities to speed up the process of finding solutions for other people who are also locked in land disputes in the province. We hope that others will get a solution like the one they had just made,” Vanny said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for