Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Child labourers found: police



Child labourers found: police

Child labourers found: police

Police discovered children as young as 12 working at a Chinese firm’s sugarcane plantation in Preah Vihear’s Tbeng Meanchey district yesterday following a tip-off, an official said.

“Our officers visited the plantation this morning, seeing only three boys and two girls aged 12, 13 and 16,” said Praing Thida, director of the provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection bureau.

The visit followed a complaint that more than 20 children had been working at Lan Feng International’s plantation since January.

“We do not want them to work like that, because they will not have time to go to school,” Thida said.

Children aged 12 are allowed to work, provided the tasks are light and do not prevent them from getting an education. Children aged 15 to 17 can work full-time so long as the work is considered non-hazardous.

In this case, Thida said, the children were not working every day and were in the company of their mothers. The children received about $5 per day – more than the minimum wage in the garment sector.

“We’ve spoken to the company about this [work] rather than taken any serious action. We are making a report for the provincial police chief,” she said.

Lor Chan, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said the complainant, an employee of the company, had also alerted the NGO to the situation.

That employee claims she has since been fired and physically threatened by someone who works for the company.

Y Heng, a representative of Lan Feng, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said