Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Child sex case set for verdict on American

Child sex case set for verdict on American

Child sex case set for verdict on American

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court is set to announce its verdict today in the case of a 57-year-old American national charged with abusing three underage Cambodian girls, court officials said following a closed-door hearing on Tuesday.

After the four-hour session, Judge Chhay Kong said a verdict against Harvey Alexander Johnson, who has been charged with committing indecent acts against three girls, aged 13 and 14, would be announced at 8am.

Johnson was arrested on August 9 at his rented room in Phnom Penh’s Boeung Kak commune after case workers for anti-paedophile NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) presented authorities with statements from 10 underage girls accusing him of sexual abuse.

Nuon Phanith, an APLE lawyer who is representing the victims, told the Post that Johnson had proclaimed his innocence and rejected the charges
against him during the hearing.

“There is nothing surprising about Johnson not confessing to the charges. That is normal for the accused,” he said.

He added that the court heard from two of the accusers, who he said provided “concrete evidence” of Johnson’s guilt.

“I firmly hope that the court will truly find justice for the three victims based on testimonies from two victims,” he said.

The hearing was originally scheduled for January 19 but was postponed due to the lack of an interpreter.

Court prosecutor Chea Meth said Tuesday that Johnson had the right to protest his innocence, but that he had not provided any evidence to disprove the charges. If found guilty, he said, Johnson faces from one to five years in prison and a fine of between 2 million and 6 million riels (US$1,444).

Johnson’s defence lawyer, Dun Vibol, could not be reached Tuesday evening.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s