Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Child sex: Court hears case against Australian

Child sex: Court hears case against Australian

Child sex: Court hears case against Australian

Child sex
PHNOM Penh Municipal Court yesterday heard the case against an Australian man charged with purchasing child prostitution from two underage girls, court officials said.

Michael John Lines, 52, was arrested on March 17 in Sihanoukville after police accused him of having abused the girls in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district since 2005. But lawyers for Lines and the victim both requested that the case be dropped, and Lines has denied the charge.

Chhith Vinea, a lawyer for the victims, said one girl was legally engaged to Lines in 2007, and that the other girl was his fiancée’s friend. He also said the fiancée was born in 1990, which he said proved she was 18 when they were engaged. “I request the court lift the charges against the accused at the behest of my client to allow them to live as a normal married couple,” he told the court.

Depending on whether the victims are deemed to have been underage at the time of the alleged abuse, Lines faces anywhere from between two and 15 years in prison if found guilty. No verdict date has been set.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police