Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese firm builds fence around Koh Kong ELC while families refuse to move



Chinese firm builds fence around Koh Kong ELC while families refuse to move

A fence erected by Chinese company Union Development Group, which locals say blocks access to the road to the village pagoda in Koh Kong's  Kiri Sakor district. Photo supplied
A fence erected by Chinese company Union Development Group, which locals say blocks access to the road to the village pagoda in Koh Kong's Kiri Sakor district. Photo supplied

Chinese firm builds fence around Koh Kong ELC while families refuse to move

Chinese firm Union Development Group (UDG) surrounded its government-granted economic land in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor district with a 900-metre-long fence last week, burdening the four families there who refuse to relocate and threatening their livelihoods, locals say.

Uk Sana, 29, who is part of one of four remaining families in Prek Smach Chas village, said checkpoints were set up preventing everyone but the families from entering the area, causing her husband’s motorbike repair shop to lose customers.

“The fence is putting an end to our income,” she said. “It closes our way in and out and we need to ask every time we need to go anywhere.”

Explaining their yearslong refusal to relocate, she said her family wanted to live on their native land where they can fish and farm.

Sana, who owns 1 hectare of land, has asked for compensation of $300,000, a sum the company refuses to pay. According to her, the three other families have asked for over $1 million total.

In Kongchit, provincial coordinator for the rights group Licadho, who visited the village on Friday, called the fence a “serious violation” and said yesterday that the villagers have not asked authorities for intervention as they suspect authorities’ motives.

Nearly 1,200 families in Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts have been affected by UDG’s 36,000-hectare land concession, more than 150 of whom still refuse to relocate despite pressure from the company and the authorities.

Sun Dara, provincial deputy governor in charge of dealing with the dispute, could not be reached yesterday, and Provincial Hall Administration Director Ouch Touch declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial