Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chroy Changvar residents protest municipality's 'land grab'

Chroy Changvar residents protest municipality's 'land grab'

Villagers hold placards outside the National Assembly yesterday as they call for intervention to stop a sub-decree that would see Chroy Changvar fall under the jurisdiction of Phnom Penh Municipality.
Villagers hold placards outside the National Assembly yesterday as they call for intervention to stop a sub-decree that would see Chroy Changvar fall under the jurisdiction of Phnom Penh Municipality. Heng Chivoan

Chroy Changvar residents protest municipality's 'land grab'

More than 100 villagers from Chroy Changvar yesterday protested a draft sub-decree that would make Phnom Penh Municipality the legal owner of 280 hectares of land that are part of the Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation’s $3 billion satellite city development.

The protesters submitted petitions to the National Assembly, the Senate and the Ministry of Interior, asking each institution to prevent the passage of the sub-decree currently being drafted by the city. The protesters expressed worry that this is an attempt to go around them and grab the land.

“Oh my god! That land is the residents’ property,” said Chea Sophat, a villager from Chroy Changvar. “Each villager is the owner of their land. We are seeking intervention from the highest institutions.”

Governor Pa Socheatvong on March 2 posted on his Facebook account that the Municipal Hall had organised a meeting to discuss the sub-decree and said that its goal was to “make development easier”.

“We cannot leave the area in anarchy,” Socheatvong wrote, adding that while he did not want to displace citizens, municipal authorities had been unable to find a solution to the land dispute between holdouts, squatters and the company.

Municipality spokesman Long Dimanche said yesterday that if the sub-decree passed, Phnom Penh would give the 280 hectares to OCIC. The total development area is 387 hectares.

“We really need to draft the sub-decree on Chroy Changvar to be the city’s property, because we need to develop the area,” he said. “But it does not mean that we will not give compensation. We must give compensation with the company.”

Dimanche did not know whether the sub-decree would take the form of eminent domain or rule that the affected people have never had legal rights to the disputed properties. He also did not say how many people will be affected, claiming that many details of the draft law are not yet finalised.

Pol Amret, a protesting villager, said that by creating the sub-decree, the city was saying that it could do anything it wants, with no concern for anyone.

“We do not accept what City Hall is doing,” he said.

A project manager at OCIC’s parent company, Canadia Bank, declined to comment about the draft sub-decree or the protest, saying he did not have information about either as of yesterday.

The development project was approved in 2001 by a decree from the prime minister. OCIC came on board as a developer 10 years later and claims to have settled two-thirds of compensation claims. In recent years though, some locals have decried the development as a land grab.

Additional reporting by Igor Kossov

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Hun Sen: Manet to be candidate for prime minister

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has reaffirmed that his oldest son Hun Manet will be his successor as Prime Minister if he is elected. Speaking during the inauguration of a new sewage treatment facility in Preah Sihanouk province on December 2, Hun Sen said Manet will be