Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - City Hall now hiring new waste collection workers

City Hall now hiring new waste collection workers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rubbish piles up in Boeung Trabek commune. Heng Chivoan

City Hall now hiring new waste collection workers

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall is moving ahead to recruit hundreds of replacement rubbish collection workers, hire new workers and obtain 70 new trucks. However, it is still asking the striking workers to return to their jobs.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey told The Post on Tuesday that the administration is gradually recruiting new rubbish collectors, but he could not confirm the number.

“This recruitment is flexible according to the situation in dealing with the striking workers. As of now, we are unsure as to how many workers we need to recruit. While recruiting new workers, the municipal hall is also monitoring Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd workers who are on strike,” Meas Pheakdey said.

He said the number of new workers depends on the need, but the municipal hall must ensure the cleanliness of the city as a priority.

“We cannot continue to allow people to take rubbish as a hostage to pay for illegal demands. The Phnom Penh municipal administration has tried to explain all aspects of the problem, including the labour law, to the workers who are demanding inappropriate conditions.

“The situation is not conducive to waiting further. Recruiting new labour options must be enforced to implement change and clean up the city,” Meas Pheakdey said.

He also called on workers who are on strike to wake up and stop their illegal activities.

The municipal hall is preparing hundreds of workers with about 70 vehicles to collect garbage in the capital as a temporary measure.

“The mechanism we need to solve the long-term waste problem is also nearing completion, which means that we have selected three companies to operate our garbage collection operations. We will divulge the details and make a public announcement once we choose the company.” Meas Pheakdey said.

Tourism Federation secretary-general Mi Phan said on Tuesday that the workers were still gathering in front of Cintri, accompanied by music. He said there’s no solution yet and further negotiations have not yet taken place.

Phnom Penh Municipal Department of Labour and Vocational Training director Chuon Vuthy said on Tuesday that based on meetings over the past three days, there is no solution.

“The company did not fire any workers, but the workers themselves refused to go to work. We went to meet and explain this to them, but they refused to listen to us,” Vuthy said.

Lawyer Ly Chantola told The Post on Tuesday that if you look at the labour law, there are two principles.

The first is that in the case of workers on strike, employers are prohibited from recruiting new employees to replace the strikers. But the law also states that in special cases, where the company provides services that are defined as fundamental, they must provide a minimum service.

He said a company that provides services regularly is allowed to recruit new workers to replace striking ones.

“What the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall is doing is in line with the provisions of the 1997 Labour Law,” he said.

Roughly 2,000 of Cintri’s rubbish collectors have been protesting since October 2, asking the company to address five issues, including seniority pay, compensation, compensation for prior notice in advance, last month salary and remaining annual leave.

However, on Tuesday Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng sent a message to the striking workers that the Ministry of Labour has already explained they still get new job opportunities when a new company is chosen to start garbage collection operations.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a