Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - City will allow CNRP rally as gov’t assures Kem Sokha won’t be arrested



City will allow CNRP rally as gov’t assures Kem Sokha won’t be arrested

Officials from the opposition CNRP and Phnom Penh City Hall discuss plans for an upcoming rally at the municipality’s offices yesterday. Photo supplied
Officials from the opposition CNRP and Phnom Penh City Hall discuss plans for an upcoming rally at the municipality’s offices yesterday. Photo supplied

City will allow CNRP rally as gov’t assures Kem Sokha won’t be arrested

City Hall yesterday gave the green light for a Friday rally outside CNRP headquarters set to coincide with the trial of Kem Sokha, while a second government official in as many days seemingly offered assurances that no attempt will be made to arrest the acting opposition leader.

The CNRP has asked party supporters and officials to congregate at its office on National Road 2 to act as “observers” as acting party president Kem Sokha is tried in absentia for refusing to appear for multiple court summonses.

City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada said the party had the “political right” to conduct the rally, as long as they managed traffic and participants refrained from insulting King Norodom Sihamoni and Prime Minister Hun Sen.

“If there is an insult, we would enforce our administrative measure and our legal measure,” he warned, adding that the party was responsible for any untoward behaviour.

Speaking to local media yesterday evening, Chanyada said that in addition to those conditions, the party had been warned not to link the rally to Sokha’s trial.

However, Morn Phalla, president of the party’s executive committee, said this condition was not conveyed to the CNRP during their meeting with city officials, and the party was only asked to ensure the smooth flow of traffic and refrain from using insults.

“We have invited them to come here and only listen to developments on the trial,” Phalla said, adding that 1,000 supporters were expected on Friday.

Party spokesman Yim Sovann added that there was no question of insulting anyone, given that the agenda for the rally was clear – to observe the criminal trial on Friday.

Ou Virak, founder of think tank Future Forum, said one of the reasons for the rally’s approval could be to avoid a repeat of Monday, when authorities barricaded National Road 2 to thwart CNRP lawmakers’ attempts to deliver petitions to embassies of signatories of the Peace Paris Agreement.

“But the main point is that Friday will not be eventful,” he said. “This is a high-profile case, and if I was the government, I would want to drag it out and keep the opposition on the back foot.”

National Police spokesman Kith Chantharith on Tuesday dismissed the possibility of a Sokha arrest, saying it would “not happen” as he would legally be allowed to mount an appeal of any verdict.

Chantharith’s assessment was backed up yesterday by Justice Ministry spokesman Kim Santepheap, who in a Facebook post cited articles 353 and 382 of the Criminal Procedures Code.

Those codes specify that the court does not have to issue an arrest warrant for sentences of less than a year and that a defendant is guaranteed one month to appeal the verdict, respectively.

Yesterday, New York-based Human Rights Watch asked the Cambodian government to drop the charges against Sokha, which it classified as a “pre-election campaign of persecution”.

“After his party’s poor showing in the last national elections, Prime Minister Hun Sen is using every trick in the book to neutralize the opposition before the 2018 elections,” said Brad Adams, the group’s Asia director.

Following Monday’s delivery of CNRP petitions to international embassies, Interior Minister Sar Kheng appealed to the same embassies via an open letter, saying the opposition was “destroying and putting Cambodia’s democracy at danger”.

“CNRP lawmakers are using their immunity as a tool to protect themselves when they violate laws and the constitution,” he wrote, on behalf of the CPP’s parliamentary committee.

“Kem Sokha was summoned to court many times, but he did not show up. If he is not wrong, as he and supporters believe, he must take responsibility,” the letter reads.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year