Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Clerical mistake ruins exam for one

Clerical mistake ruins exam for one

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students are patted down before entering their exam centre at the capital’s Sisowath High School on Monday. Pha Lina

Clerical mistake ruins exam for one

The Ministry of Education says the national high school exam process went smoother than last year, despite a male student in Kampong Thom province missing the test because his name was mistakenly removed from the rolls.

Ministry spokesperson Ros Salin said: “The two-day examinations were better than last year as all proctors were responsible in their obligations, even though it rained heavily in some provinces.

“Candidates respected the rules of the examination perfectly and they did not bring any documents or banned electronic devices,” he confirmed.

The few irregularities he mentioned were five mobile phones that were seized and two cases of candidates trying to bring in documents.

“There were 46 cases in which candidates had health problems and received first aid, but most managed to resume their examinations. However, five of those were sent to the hospital and could not resume doing so,” Salin said.

Sum Raksmey, a student at Kampong Thom’s Steung Sen High School, did not see his name on the list as the school mistakenly deleted it from the register. He has not yet received word about being able to sit the examinations.

His father, Brasat commune police chief Soeung Phea, said his son went to school regularly, but because of a technical error, his name was taken off the list.

He said on Sunday, a school director alerted them about the mistake and apologised. Phea called on the Ministry of Education to correct it and allow his son to sit the examinations.

“Now my son is hopeless because there is no solution at all. Even though the principal said my son goes to school regularly and he has never been absent,” Phea said.

Steung Sen education office director Yin Bunhuot said he received information on Raksmey’s case but was unsure what measures were being taken.

Steung Sen High School deputy management committee director Chhorn Thung said the mistake occurred unintentionally.

“The missing name was caused by a technical problem. This student changed from classroom B to classroom C, so there were two names at the school and when they arranged the student names, the two names were wrongly deleted,” he said.

Ros Salin did not respond to The Post’s request for comment on Raksmey’s case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Oil producers see oversupply

    Major oil producers said on Sunday that crude supply next year would outstrip demand, calling for new strategies based on production adjustments. Khalid al-Falih, Energy Minister of the world’s top supplier Saudi Arabia, said the kingdom would cut its production by 500,000 barrels per day (

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With