Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Closed factory’s staff call for court warrant



Closed factory’s staff call for court warrant

Co-Seek garment factory workers protest outside the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday, calling for a halt to the sale of factory equipment until they receive severance pay. Photo supplied
Co-Seek garment factory workers protest outside the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday, calling for a halt to the sale of factory equipment until they receive back wages. Photo supplied

Closed factory’s staff call for court warrant

Some 50 representatives of 400 workers at the Co-Seek garment factory in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district protested in front of the municipal court yesterday seeking a warrant to prevent the shuttered factory’s property from being sold until their back wages are paid.

Lor Sopheak, a deputy president of the Cambodian Youth Power Union League, said workers had become concerned that the factory’s assets were being sold off after they saw some equipment being moved out in August, shortly before work ceased in early September.

“The court official told the workers that the court will issue a warrant after the court gets enough documents,” he said, adding that workers “always sleep [outside the factory] to protect the company’s property” from being sold.

Hon Seng Hon, one of the protesting workers, said workers still hadn’t been paid for August and that the sale of the company’s assets was the only way to finance their back pay.

“We are afraid that property was sold off without finding a solution for us, because up till now . . . our wage is not yet paid, and we are having difficulty finding other jobs immediately,” he said.

Sen Siha, another worker, said the factory had paid some workers their base wages, but not overtime or extra benefits.

Reached yesterday, factory administrator Loo Kokchhay would only acknowledge that “some workers had already been paid their wage, and some had not”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Time to Rise by rapper, chapei legend is viral hit with ancient-modern mix

    Kong Nay is known internationally as the master of the chapei dang veng, a traditional Cambodian instrument resembling a long-necked lute or guitar with two nylon strings that he was already playing professionally by the age of 15. Nay is sometimes referred to as the Cambodian

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as