Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC destroys 14 buried bombs across the Kingdom



CMAC destroys 14 buried bombs across the Kingdom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Assessments show 13 of the bombs were in good condition and active. Cambodian Mine Action Centre

CMAC destroys 14 buried bombs across the Kingdom

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) removed 14 bombs from 14 different locations in five provinces and Phnom Penh last month, its director said on Tuesday.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said on Facebook that CMAC disposed of the aerial bombs from locations in Phnom Penh, Kandal, Prey Veng, Kampong Cham, Takeo and Svay Rieng.

The 14 bombs that were dropped from aircraft were buried in the ground, he said.

“Technical assessments showed 13 of the bombs were in good condition and active, while one of them had already exploded. These bombs were about five to seven metres deep in the ground. This is one of the major concerns for safety in areas used for infrastructure development and building construction,” he said.

Ratana could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Separately, a CMAC staffer in Pailin province, Rin Chouk, told The Post on Tuesday that four anti-tank mines were removed from a farm in Pailin city on Tuesday.

He said the farmer was using a tractor and accidentally found a mine, which luckily did not explode.

“Our team inspected the farm and found three other anti-tank mines close to each other. We dug into the ground and safely removed the mines.

“It is very lucky for the farmer that he did not detonate the first anti-tank mine, which is not defunct yet and could have exploded,” he said.

He said that last month, his unit cleared 28 UXOs and 27 mortars on more than 21ha.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and