Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC divers haul in big, US-made bomb

CMAC divers haul in big, US-made bomb

Members of CMAC’s Salvage Dive Unit pose with a US-made Mark-82 bomb recovered yesterday from the Tonle Sap river. Photo supplied
Members of CMAC’s Salvage Dive Unit pose with a US-made Mark-82 bomb recovered yesterday from the Tonle Sap river. Photo supplied

CMAC divers haul in big, US-made bomb

A 227-kilo, US-made Mark-82 bomb was recovered from the Tonle Sap river without incident by an elite Cambodian dive team yesterday morning.

According to Mike Nisi, a former US Navy SEAL who supervised the dive, four 105mm artillery shells were also found in two river sites near Preak Pnuv, just south of Phnom Penh, over the 10-day operation.

The US-supported Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) Salvage Dive Unit consists of 11 Cambodian divers.

In yesterday’s three and half hour operation, the Cold War-era bomb, which was submerged 6-metres deep in water with “zero visibility”, was brought to the surface using a remotely inflated balloon that was attached to the ordnance by a diver, said Nisi.

The bomb was then hooked to a cable and pulled to shore by car, allowing the team to keep a 200-metre distance.

Nisi said CMAC learned of the bomb through local fishermen, who had been snagging their nets on the leftover ordnance.

According to Allen Tan, country manager for the Golden West Humanitarian Foundation, a US demining group that supports CMAC, the ordnance likely belonged to forces fighting for the US-backed Lon Nol regime.

Each of the recovered explosives was missing a fuse, said Tan, which suggested that – at least in the case of the artillery shells – they were being transported by boat before being lost.

The recovered UXO have been transferred to CMAC’s headquarters in Kampong Chhnang for disposal, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a