Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC, TMAC ink demining agreements



CMAC, TMAC ink demining agreements

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CMAC director-general Heng Ratana and his counterpart Sittipol Nimnuan signed the agreement in Aranyaprathet district in Sras Keo province, Thailand. CMAC

CMAC, TMAC ink demining agreements

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) and the Thailand Mine Action Centre (TMAC) on Tuesday signed an agreement on research and mine clearance in areas near the border.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana and his counterpart Sittipol Nimnuan signed the agreement in Aranyaprathet district in Sras Keo province, Thailand.

Ratana said the agreement was made with permission from Minister of National Defence Tea Banh and the co-chair of the General Border Committee.

“This agreement was made with permission from the Minister of National Defence Tea Banh and the co-chair of the General Border Committee. The agreement was reached to further collaboration between the two countries,” he said.

CMAC secretary-general Phat Pheareak said on Tuesday that CMAC and TMAC began collaborations in 2008.

“This latest agreement was reached after both sides searched for locations along the border to demine. We have only chosen the locations we have studied to co-sign the agreement. The locations don’t affect border issues,” he said.

In September last year, he said: “The clearing of mines and unexploded ordnance is to be carried out in our respective territories.

“Because we chose the locations near each other, we can exchange experiences and techniques with one another when going down to carry out an operation onsite.”

Last year, CMAC discovered and destroyed 36,000 mines and unexploded ordnance on nearly 6,700ha of plantations and in 487 locations across the country. The government has vowed to clear mines completely by 2025.

A recent report said that currently, Cambodia has 2,100sqm of land containing mines and unexploded ordnance.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting