Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC warns residents against removing mines without experts



CMAC warns residents against removing mines without experts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said residents in Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear and Banteay Meanchey provinces had cleared most of the mines themselves but encountered danger and CMAC had to rescue them. CMAC

CMAC warns residents against removing mines without experts

Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana has called on the public who live near mine-containment areas to stop trying to dispose of the mines themselves because it is dangerous and could lead to a loss of life.

Ratana said people need to collaborate with the authorities and request mine clearance free of charge.

He told The Post on Tuesday that local police forces and CMAC forces in provinces containing mines were continuing to instruct villagers to stop their activities.

Residents in Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear and Banteay Meanchey provinces, he said, had cleared most of the mines themselves but encountered danger and CMAC had to rescue them.

“When they encountered danger, our group launched an investigation and found that they couldn’t remove mines from the ground completely because they had no demining materials.

“More importantly, demining is dangerous for both the deminers and land use because residents feel it is safe when it is not,” Ratana said.

He said hired deminers had no clear techniques or training and they are usually just former soldiers or young people.

“This is very dangerous. They lack technical materials, proper skills and lack procedures to manage, control and inspect mines safely. It is illegal because they don’t know where mines and explosives will be stored,” he said.

Minh Sron, the head of the 6th Deming Unit in Preah Vihear, Oddar Meanchy and Steung Treng provinces, said on Tuesday that CMAC has collaborated with the National Police to educate and spread the word about the dangers of demining by the public and has instructed them to contact local authorities if they encountered unexploded ordnances.

“National Police forces and CMAC are partners working together to spread the word about the consequences of UXOs left behind since the war era,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both