Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP forest clearer’s jail term upheld



CNRP forest clearer’s jail term upheld

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ouk Chetny (Second from left) and his father in law are photographed outside the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court in 2018. Supplied

CNRP forest clearer’s jail term upheld

The Appeal Court on Monday upheld the five-year sentence of a former CNRP commune chief in Preah Sihanouk province for cutting and clearing forest in 2018.

In the absence of the accused and his defence lawyer, Judge In Vanvibol read the verdict which said on December 11, the Appeal Court had heard the case against Ouk Chetny, 35, a former chief of commune I, in Preah Sihanouk.

After discussion, the judges decided not to reduce the five-year sentence meted out by the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court after he was charged with one count each of clearing the forest and illegally clearing the forest to grab as his personal property.

“It is right that the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court sentenced him to five years in jail, but two years are suspended. It’s legal under the law to do this,” he said.

Chetny’s defence lawyer Sam Sokong told The Post on Monday that he would appeal to the Supreme Court against the Appeal Court’s verdict.

“The verdict did not render justice for my client, and I will meet him to discuss it before filing a complaint to the Supreme Court,” he said.

At the hearing on December 11, Sokong requested the Appeal Court drop the charges and release his client.

According to the court record, at the trial in June last year, Chetny had told the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court that he, his wife and father-in-law Sam Sun visited a 50m by 100m plantation in Village I, Commune I, after he bought it from an elderly man named Bol for $3,000. Bol cleared the land for them and they planted some fruit trees.

The record added that Chetny claimed when he was collecting firewood at the plantation, soldiers appeared and arrested him. The soldiers gathered two chainsaws, a machete and a hoe as evidence in the arrest, but he claimed none of the items was his.

The provincial court charged him with illegally cutting and clearing the forest under Articles 56 and 62 of the Law on Nature Protection Area.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Cambodia, India agree to start direct flights, tourism exchanges

    Cambodia and India have agreed to start direct flight connections and promote closer tourism exchanges and cooperation in all areas after the Covid-19 saga comes to a close. The agreement was reached during a meeting between Cambodian Minister of Tourism Thong Khon and newly-minted Indian

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman